the kenyons

Friday, April 25, 2008

yesterday

Yesterday, at about 3:00, it occurred to me that we might actually be getting the hang of this family of 5 thing ... Ophelia is 7 weeks and I am managing to get a regular amount of stuff done, as opposed to less than regular - if that makes sense.


On Wednesday, we went to playgroup at 9 (and we were only 10 minutes late - amazing these days! I can barely seem to get us all ready and out of the house by 10!) We played games, we painted with watercolours, EVERY room in the house was tidy (notice I didn't say clean). Mike had to work late, so I bathed Kaya and Keidis, made supper and did bedtime routine almost all by myself with all three of them (he did come home in time to cuddle and read stories). I even managed to get a fair amount of work done.

Yesterday, we got ready for the day, did laundry, went for a 3km walk to the veg/fruit store (I was pushing anywhere from 20-90 lbs - depending on who was walking or in the stroller - and I had 11 lbs of Ophelia strapped to me), the entire house stayed tidy, we made blueberry/banana bread, played games, coloured and drew (drawed? can't wrap my head around the correct way to say that right now), and I worked. Not to mention the house was vacuumed (admittedly, that was not me - I love being a Young Woman's 10-hour service project).
I am sure that I have been feeling this way because for the previous 11 nights, Ophelia has slept at least 6 (sometimes even 8) hours at a time!!!!! The other 2 never did this for me at this age!
Well, that was yesterday - I should know better than to think or say out loud that I am feeling like I am getting into the swing of things. Last night, this sweet girl didn't go to sleep until midnight (she had been up since about 6:30 and was cranky because she was tired but fought sleep every step of the way). She was really gassy and woke up a few times between 12:00 and 1 a.m. so I just laid with her. I went back to bed at 2:45 and she was up at her usual 5:30 (which isn't so bad when she goes to bed at 10 p.m.) - then she was up again at 7 and is now just drifting back to sleep. Please know I am not complaining - my other 2 didn't give me 6-8 hours regularly until at least 6 months or so (and Kaya was closer to a year). So I am grateful to know it is possible and will work on getting it back :)
I am just saying - yesterday, 'tis but a sweet memory!

4 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Hooray!!!! Glad your getting such good rest at night that makes such a difference to the day.

April 25, 2008 at 2:48 p.m.  
Blogger Jenie said...

I love hearing that you are adjusting well and things are going good. Sleep makes all the difference.

April 25, 2008 at 4:27 p.m.  
Blogger Faith W said...

Nikki, you sound like you guys are doing great! Nothing like a baby to keep you on your toes :).

May 6, 2008 at 10:34 a.m.  
Blogger Sarah Shaw said...

hey your blog looks great sounds like you are more than just getting the swing of things! way better then I'm doing! and my youngest is 5 months. (mind you she is awful at nighttime) look forward to reading up on you :)

May 20, 2008 at 10:32 a.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home