the kenyons

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Shameless Solicitation

This post will serve 2 purposes, one is to show my hair as it has grown out (I have been asked countless times) and the other is to explain why it is significant.


So last year, Mike's sister Jen found out she had very serious breast cancer ... the long and short of it is she had a double mastectomy and removel of 11 lymph nodes, 6 rounds of intensive chemo and then 5 and half weeks of radiation. This ended just before Christmas and she is now doing fine, recovering her energy and looking forward to a long healthy life!!!!! In the summer, she had to shave her head as the chemo was starting to make her hair fall out. Her sister, Trish, raised $1200 through her work by shaving her head. But Jen had to shave her head before Trish was able to, and somehow, when talking to her on a Thursday night, I commited to doing it at the same time as her sometime that weekend - how that happened exactly I am not sure :) but I only had 2 days to think about it, so it went okay!!! Regardless, here are a few pictures of the hair-growing-out process ... this first one is just a few days after (sometime mid-June) ...



in November ... (in need of a haircut!!)

February 2008 ... (took it myself, so it is not a great photo).

So now the point of this tale ... in September 2008 (about 6 1/2 months away), Mike's sisters (Jen, Trish, and Tamsen) and I are walking in the Weekend to End Breast Cancer. This is a 60km walk through Vancouver. We will do 35km the first day and 25km the second day. All of the proceeds go to funding Breast Cancer Research. This event is the celebration of Jen's recovery, in celebration of the three-year anniversary of another special lady in my life being free from breast cancer, and it is for a great cause. Each participant has to raise $2000 to enter the walk ... a big number, but I am sure I can do it!

If you are interested in learning more or making a donation, please see our team site and click on my individual site for more info.

http://www.endcancer.ca/site/TR/Events/Vancouver2008?pg=team&fr_id=1255&team_id=48547

Thanks in advance ... this means a lot to me and our families!

3 Comments:

Blogger Tiffany said...

WOW!!! What an inspiring story Nikki. I can't believe how beautiful you look with your head shaved-I am sure that has so much to do with what kind of person you are inside to do something like that for someone you love. Once, again, wow!!!. I would love to donate. May not be much, but I will do what I can.
p.s. love seeing the kids and how big they have gotten.

February 12, 2008 at 5:42 p.m.  
Blogger Krista said...

I loved how you looked with a shaved head, though I was afraid at first to ask WHY you'd shaved it. You look super cute as your hair grows in too.
I'd have done the same for Jenie - you have to stick with the ones you love!

February 14, 2008 at 2:54 p.m.  
Blogger Faith W said...

Nikki, what an amazing story. I had seen your short hair in your email update last week and thought it was awesome, but I had no idea there was such a history behind it. Must say, you are gorgeous with a shaved head. I already knew you were amazing, and now I am even more touched, good for you and so glad to hear there was happy ending for Mike's sister.

February 15, 2008 at 7:22 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home